Finding Family Fun in the Black Hills
It’s easy to know when you’ve reached the Black Hills. Endless stretches of plains evolve into rolling hills darkly shaded with the evergreen of Ponderous pines. Within these dense slopes, families can find adventure, fun, nostalgia and more. While made famous to many thanks to the Americana monument of Mount Rushmore, these storied hills have something for everyone hidden within the forest.
- Storybook Island: Let your imagination take flight in this themed park where your favorite fairytales have leaped off the pages to create this free walk-through attraction.
- Reptile Gardens: This large collection of creepy crawlies invites you to see amphibians, bugs, reptiles, snakes and everything with scales and tales up close and personal.
- Wind Cave National Park: Sometimes the best gems are hidden from view. One such beauty is a twisting and winding cave, one of the longest in the world.
- Spearfish Canyon Scenic Byway: Best seen in autumn surrounded by fall foliage, this 22 mile journey will have everyone’s faces pressed against the window.
- Crazy Horse Memorial: This mountain monument under continual construction looks a little bit different every time you visit. The carving depicts Crazy Horse, an Oglala Lakota warrior.
- Dinosaur Park: Looming over Rapid City are seven dinosaur sculptures, set on one of the city’s highest points. Hike to the top and see the Black Hills from their point of view.
- Bear Country USA: Drive through this wildlife park where bears, wolves, buffalo and more roam right up to the car.
- Alpine Slide: An adventure park with tramway, zip-line and treetop obstacle course gives you a view of Mount Rushmore complete with adventure.
- Main Street Square: The heart of Rapid City offers something unique year-round, whether it’s the summer concert series or winter ice skating.
About Canyon Lake Resort
The Canyon Lake Resort is a family owned and operated motel and cabins. Located in Rapid City, SD, the mountain lodge style accommodations provide an out of town feel, with in town appeal. Guests can stay shoreside at the 11 motel rooms, 10 cabins, and five-bedroom house. For more information, visit www.canyonlakeresortsd.com.