A professional’s advice on how to make the event stress-free.
Family reunions can be:
The Canyon Lake Resort works with you to take stress out of the options. Our top tips to a stress-free event with your family will help you select fun, relaxing and pleasurable every time.
Start with the basics: Before jumping into all of the small details, decide on a budget, date and location.
- Make a checklist: Nothing is worse than the feeling when you forgot something. Avoid this by staying organized with a checklist of tasks.
- Form organizing committees: You shouldn’t have to plan the whole event by yourself! Viewpoints from other relatives will be helpful. Organize groups to be in charge of budget, food, venue, activities and anything else you could use some extra help with.
- Choose what type of reunion you want at the beginning: Deciding on a theme or style will help you plan the rest of the event. Picnics and barbecues are popular choices that get the family outside to socialize.
- Communicate often: People forget. It’s unavoidable. You can avoid last minute reminders by having open communication leading up to the event. Send save the date cards, invitations, reminder notes, emails and set up a website where family members can check to find event details rather than calling you with every question.
- Order event t-shirts: They may never be worn again, but family reunion t-shirts serve a purpose. For some, they serve as a keepsake. For most, they serve as an effective way to identify the group and help the event flow smoothly.
- Take time to enjoy the event: No special event, whether it is a family reunion, wedding, or birthday, is worth the effort unless you relax and participate. It is your time to make memories too.
About Canyon Lake Resort
The Canyon Lake Resort is a family owned and operated motel and cabins. Located in Rapid City, SD, the mountain lodge style accommodations provide an out of town feel, with in town appeal. Guests can stay shoreside at the 11 motel rooms, 10 cabins, and five-bedroom house. For more information, visit www.canyonlakeresortsd.com.